Monday, November 21, 2011

Empty Boat Color Study VII Pastel Painting by Poucher


"Empty Boat Study VII"
Soft Pastel on Wallis Museum Grade paper 5x7"

This little study went on quite the journey today. It began with a purple and yellow wet pastel underpainting. Working with a limited palette it went from strong colors to muted grays. It was scrubbed, wiped off, blended, glazed, hatched and somehow in the end returned to looking very similar to the original empty boat. I did enjoy the journey.
Available in my Daily Painters Gallery.

2 comments:

Vanessa said...

It's amazing how some pieces take you on a long journey. I've had a few pieces do the same an though I get frustrated, those are the ones on which you learn the most. Your boat series is beautiful! This last one is my favourite. It has a morning haze that's very calming.

N Poucher said...

It is funny how some pieces just flow. Each stroke that you put down is right. But for those long journeys, I'm happy to work with pastels as it is easy to cover up all of those things that you "learned" along the way.
Thanks for your kind words, Vanessa.